Tuesday, August 22, 2006

my new jersey home

So now i have two homes! one in CT with mbh and one in NJ all to myself. over the last couple of weeks i have been enjoying setting up a little abode for myself here in NJ.

kitchen/dining area.

i bought the DIY kit for the table and chairs (and many other things besides) at IKEA and enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that i always feel when i manage to put furniture together successfully. mbh always likes to boast to people that i am the furniture builder in the house. he hates to do it and since i love doing it, it is usually my job. its like doing a puzzle but ever so much more rewarding in its usefulness.

i love the birch wood of the table...birch trees make me think of my mother and the Finnish forest and beating each other with fresh birch twigs in the sauna to get the circulation going.

I went one step further in my home improvement spree this time, emboldened by my success in the simple task of putting the table together. i bought a drill from Home depot! and was determined to put up a shelf on the wall. the whole experience was quite traumatic actually. I had to face fears of drilling into wires or through the wall into the neighbours apartment or that the whole building would fall down or that i would drop the drill and drill into my toes and all manner of other horrors... i did it but i didn't enjoy the experience i am afraid to say. i think i would like to apprentice for a while with a builder or carpenter just so that i could learn a few tricks of the trade. here is the shelf. (i actually bought three to put up but stopped after the first because i couldn't take the stress any more :)
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger GWD said...

The shelf looks level to me! Good job.

8:42 PM, August 23, 2006  
Blogger child_of_africa said...

Thanks George! :) i really need some encouragement actually! do you have any essential drilling tips to share?

9:29 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya lovie - i'm just catching up with your blog... your apartment is really special and i love all of the signatures you've put into the space. It seems like you are showcasing all of your most special posessions. i love it!

i hope to catch up with you soon. missing you a lot lately.

~celeste

2:37 PM, October 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home