Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Hungarian thanksgiving

Cathy, Terry, Jessie and Matt invited us to join them at their friends' home for Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon/evening. It was QUITE the elegant experience. Their friends, Peter and Yudit, come from Hungary and are very warm and artistic people.



One of the guests in attendance, Tom, a professor of medieval literature at the University of Connecticut was very pleased and proud to let me know that he was also a half-Finn and told me all kinds of stories about fishing with his Finnish grandfather and visits to his grandparents' sauna using birch and willow switches to get the circulation going. I did feel that I was talking to some long lost uncle somehow on my mother's side. I reflected on how much I enjoy searching for and finding little pieces of my family as I travel along life's pathways. I construct my own family members as I go with reckless abandon, even if they are just temporary connections.

Julia showed us how to put together the Hungarian crepes that were served for dessert. DELICIOUS!!



2 Comments:

Blogger sashwee said...

I heard a radio drama on BBC of an imaginary relationship a man had with the French grandma that he only met twice in reality. There were conversations, letters, sharing of art, understanding each other, identification. It was lovely. I thought, "wow! I could do the same with my Tamil grandma that I only met once...or with anybody really."

6:07 AM, November 23, 2007  
Blogger Leif Nabil said...

Aha. Much like Swedish pancakes, not to be confused with spaghetti pancakes.

5:55 AM, November 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home