Thursday, August 02, 2007

Facebook and a system of world inter-communication

I have a new internet diversion--Facebook. I signed up for an account a while ago just to see what all the fuss was about and haven't paid much attention to it. But recently more friends have been signing up with facebook and finding me and adding me as a friend and I finally clicked the link to, in the wink of an eye, find all the friends in my email contacts who were on Facebook and I asked them to friend me and it seems to continue to expand from there...friends of friends find you and friend you. Then you browse friends of friends and find more friends to friend. Suddenly I am in touch with long lost primary or high school classmates still in Africa or now in England or Ireland, friends from China, friends from graduate school and
Baha'i friends from various periods of my life. And I have a gallery of friends photos right there in my friends section, my "Facebook" with status updates on their whereabouts and state of mind.

Brings to mind once again that sentence about the system of world inter-communication in a paragraph in Shoghi Effendi's writings written in the 1930s and describing the future world unified by various means

"The unity of the human race, as envisaged by Bahá'u'lláh, implies the establishment of a world commonwealth in which all nations, races, creeds and classes are closely and permanently united, and in which the autonomy of its state members and the personal freedom and initiative of the individuals that compose them are definitely and completely safeguarded. This commonwealth must, as far as we can visualize it, consist of a world legislature, whose members will, as the trustees of the whole of mankind, ultimately control the entire resources of all the component nations, and will enact such laws as shall be required to regulate the life, satisfy the needs and adjust the relationships of all races and peoples. ... A mechanism of world inter-communication will be devised, embracing the whole planet, freed from national hindrances and restrictions, and functioning with marvellous swiftness and perfect regularity. ..."

Well here it is... instant and simultaneous communication with any number of individuals in all corners of the planet.

Here is a video that Leif made all by himself I believe and posted on my Facebook page...his own little promotion for Ruhi study circle . VERY JAZZY! sign me up!

2 Comments:

Blogger Celeste said...

that's really exciting! i'm hesitant to add anything else to my ever-expanding list of sites to maintain, but that does sounds really cool...

8:39 AM, August 04, 2007  
Blogger Celeste said...

HEY - I just realized it's your blogging birthday!!!!!!! WHOOT! Congrats on a great year!

8:45 AM, August 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home