Monday, May 12, 2008

Islam: Empire of Faith


Dear readers,
If I had the authority to require you to do anything or assign you some homework I would insist that you watch this PBS documentary Islam: Empire of Faith. Honestly, I feel in this day and age of such misunderstanding and prejudice that each individual should take it upon themselves to do everything they can to gain some understanding of Islamic civilization. And here is an easy and fascinating way to do so. I found this program breathtaking. It is so well made and so engaging with use of dramatization and beautiful photography and narrated by Ben Kingsley....AND guess what!! The ENTIRE progam (160 min) is available online!! I simply MUST URGE you to watch it. Learn about the life of Muhammad, how he united the warring tribes of the Arabian desert, and gave divine impetus to a grand civilization that has had an enormous influence on Western civilization. Among His teachings are the oneness of God and the establishment of unity and peace among peoples. He also taught a powerful message of social justice and tolerance. Islamic civilization fostered the advancement of science, knowledge, the arts and architecture. Yes, you also get to learn about the wars and power struggles.
You can watch it here:

4 Comments:

Blogger Alexander M Zoltai said...

Thank you, so much, for the heads-up on that video series.

I have a (free) program called Miro that lets me download videos so Islam: Empire of Faith is pouring into my laptop right now!

~ Alex

11:19 PM, May 12, 2008  
Blogger Anne said...

Thanks Child of Africa! Can't wait to watch it!!!
Anne

9:24 AM, May 13, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did my homework and I am very grateful to the teacher. I had to download each part like 3 times just to watch them because right in the middle or at the end of each download the electricity would go off for a minute or two (very normal here), cutting the Internet! It took me like 3 hours of downloading for each part.

Well, thanks so much for this assignment. I learned a ton from watching it and will watch it again once I figure out how to download it onto my ipod. The first part was the best because it focused on Islam itself while the second and even more so the third gave more attention to the empires Islam spawned. I would have liked to learn more about Islam itself beyond the life of the Prophet and not so much about the empires, but it was all very interesting anyway.

Everybody should watch this. I was thinking about how useful this would be to show to many Christians who have formed such a poor opinion of Islam, although the movie did not address any modern issues. All Baha'is should see this as well, as it helps us understand the roots of our Faith. I will recommend this to lots of people.

9:59 PM, May 25, 2008  
Blogger Sneezy said...

Thanks for posting this. A while ago it was something I'd looked for on various sources but didn't find. I am very excited to watch these.

5:57 PM, July 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home