Friday, October 26, 2007

Read by the author

I listen to audiobooks on my weekly drive between CT and NJ. I just finished The Kite Runner.

Incredibly touching, powerfully poignant. I not only cried, I sobbed but don't let that discourage you from reading this book! Provides precious insight into aspects of life in Afghanistan, the universality of the problem of prejudice and discrimination and the overwhelmingly devastating effects of such prejudice on human lives. Also develops sensivity to the powerful life-long effects of childhood trauma. The audiobook is read by the author. I have discovered I love to listen to books read by the author. It brings another layer of vividness especially in stories such as this that was peppered with expressions in Farsi.


The book I listened to before this one was Toni Morrison's "The Bluest Eye" which was also read by the author and was similarly heart wrenching but SUCH an important read.


4 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I have to admit to being a "lurker" here on your blog for a few months. I found you through Baha'i Views and enjoy the perspective you share. I was initially intrigued by your blog name as my husband and I adopted a little girl from Ethiopia this year (and have a son from Korea).

As for books, my husband and I also enjoy listening to books (some with deeper meaning than others!) and have Kite Runner on the list. I just picked up "Three Cups of Tea" (not read by the author, but about Afghanistan & Pakistan)and have "Infidel" on my list as well. "Infidel" is read by the author, and her voice is facinating to listen to.

Thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Lori

9:46 PM, October 26, 2007  
Blogger child_of_africa said...

thanks for the comment lori! i LOVE three cups of tea. absolutely one of my favorite books.

10:14 PM, October 26, 2007  
Blogger Pedagogical Criticality said...

This one is next on my list... well it's actually one of the next 3. :-)

11:53 AM, October 30, 2007  
Blogger Pedagogical Criticality said...

I also agree with your comments about the "reader." I have purchased at least 2 audiobooks that almost caused me to lose my life on the highway, due to the reader's voice being expertly skillful in inducing lethargy. LOL... Blessings

11:58 AM, October 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home